Sunday, March 20, 2011

My Kids = My Way.

I get tired of negative comments about parenting. They aren't always directed to me..but hearing someone complain about how someone else parent's their children or an issue that they feel strongly about or whatever really gets to me sometimes.
NO PARENT IS PERFECT. Most are just trying their best in their own way to raise their child however they feel is appropriate. Which while I may not agree with some issues, I can totally understand and hear every side of the issue. WITHOUT JUDGING. I may disagree for MY children with your way, but that's not judging. And I don't EVER do it outloud.
However, I NEVER judge how a parent handles issues and parents their own children. I hate the way people make me feel like I need to defend my parenting. Because honestly, I don't need to. I am doing the best I can for my children and I don't judge you.
But here it is...and I honestly could care less if you agree or disagree or support or hate me for it...They are MY kids :-)

-I did NOT get an epidural with Tucker and I don't plan to this time either. Its a personal decision and as long as its not having a negative effect, its what I am doing. I believe its best for MY children. I totally respect and understand others for getting them, but its not what I am doing.
-I AM breastfeeding Rylie. I believe its the best thing you can do for your child IF you can do it. However..
-I tried breastfeeding Tucker and ended up quitting. He was a formula fed baby after the first week and he is and always has been PERFECTLY healthy. NOTHING wrong with formula.
-I start rice cereal at 4 months.
-I give my child juice starting at 6 months.
-I use disposable diapers. First of all...I LOVE them. NEVER have had a problem and Tucker has NEVER had a rash with them. I understand your carbon foot print issues and all that...but its not what is best for MY family. Don't even try to tell me that you've done a million hours of research and everywhere you read says cloth is best and disposables cause rashes and blah blah blah. Its BS. Plus...I refuse to deal with poop more times than I have to. Disposables all the way here.
-I do NOT do organic. If something is on sale and it happens to be organic, then that is what we get. I refuse to spend an extra 25-100% more just for the "organic" label. Nothing wrong with things that aren't organic.
-I don't use hand sanitizer or wash my hands religiously. Therefore, I don't and won't ever make my kids do it like crazy either. Their immune systems need to get some germs to grow and be strong.
-That being said, if my kid is sick, I do NOT take him to interact with other children. That is rude, mean and purposely spreading diseases and such. Its gross enough for your own kid to walk around with snot dripping down his face...My kid won't be "that kid" wiping his snot on other's toys and clothing. Gross.
-I do sanitize bottles, breast pump parts, etc....once a week. Its ridiculous to me to do it more often. A simple wash with hot water and soap is plenty.
-Tucker uses a blanket as his comfort item.
-Rylie can pick her own comfort item..whether thats a blanket, a paci, thumb, stuffed animal, etc...she can pick.
-After 8 months, Tucker was off a bottle and only used sippy cups. A little earlier than I planned, but I was thrilled. None of my kids will ever you a bottle or a paci past 12 months.
-Tucker has and will continue and Rylie will get ALLLLLLLL their vaccinations. ALL of them.
-I refuse to push potty training. When they are ready, then we'll proceed and never look back. Until then, I refuse to push it.
-I let my kid drink sweet tea. He likes it. Scratch that, he LOVES it.
-Public schools all the way.
-My kids will NOT be raised in a church. We'll teach them about the bible and they'll know all the stories and such. But I will NEVER force religion on them. I will NEVER force them to believe one point of view is the best and only right way to see things. When they are old enough, they can decide if they would like to attend church or any other religious activities they wish.
-I won't let Tucker wear his pants so that you can see his entire butt. I won't let Rylie wear short shorts, belly shirts, shirts you can see her boobs, etc... My children will dress modest.
-Tucker sits in time out, gets his hand popped and occasionally even gets a spanking when he misbehaves. Rylie will too.
-I will NOT allow my children to drink before they are legal or to do drugs.
-My children will NOT smoke ciggerattes.
-I won't ever force my children to or make them feel like they HAVE to go to college.
-I let my kids get dirty, splash in puddles, etc. They're only kids once.
-I will use both homemade food and jar baby food for Rylie. I did with Tucker too.
-I let Tucker cry it out. Rylie will too.
-I will NOT co-sleep with my children.
-I am a baby wearer.
-I will NOT breastfeed Rylie past 2 years old. I do NOT want her remembering that.
-My children will NOT have cell phones when they are ten. Probably not even until they are in high school.
-My children will NOT go to day care or preschool. I am a SAHM.
-Tucker bites his nails. His father and I do too. Its not a great habit by any means, but there's nothing wrong with it. I will NEVER dip his hand in any kind of liquid or chemical or pepper to prevent him from continuing this.
-I do NOT leave my kids with sitters. I have occasionally left Tucker with my mother but I didn't become a mother for other's to do my job.
-I will let my kids drink juice, soda, etc (in moderation).
-I won't allow my children to use language like "balls, dick, tits, etc" or swear until they are well over the understanding age and at least in HS.
-I am a young mother. And I LOVE that I have children so young.
-Tucker plays with trucks, cars, etc. If Rylie would rather play with those over barbies and babies, she is welcome to.
-I refuse to buy "My Baby Can Read" or Baby Einstein, etc...My child can and will learn at their own pace.
-I feed on demand until 12ish months. Then a pretty regular 3 meals a day with snacks.
-My children will NEVER be homeschooled.
-My children will never need anything but their every want will NOT be met.
-I don't know how I feel about medication for children for ADD, etc. IF we ever come to that hump, I will make the decision I feel is best for MY child.
-I will NEVER have a planned home birth. I would do a birthing center if there was one available though.
-Tucker is circumsized. So glad he is.
-My children aren't allowed near certain family without me. I don't care if they are family or not..some people will NEVER be allowed near my children alone.
-I won't force my children to play sports, join clubs, etc.
-My children will NOT be racist.
-My children will be taught to see other lifestyles with an open mind (same sex partners, etc)


Honestly...It is none of anyone's business how I choose to raise my children. Judge me all you want..but keep it to yourself. I don't care how you feel about any of these topics/issues. They're MY kids.

But most importantly...no matter what, I will love them.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you totally! Especially with the vaccinations and kids being sick I should be able to take my kid somewhere without worrying about someone bringing there sick and snotty nosed one there. I wouldn't bring Ava if she was sick. I couldn't leave her in the nursery at church the other day because this little girl about 2-3 had green snot pouring down her nose and was wiping it everywhere. You would think her parents would be a little more considerate. And I'm sick of people and the organic and "green" everything. I totally agree with you on the cloth diapers although I respect people that do I'm not sure it is right for me. And kids don't get autism and diseases from vaccines and non organic food like they think lol. Everyone raises there kids diferently and should not be judged. Especially grandparents should understand that just because they did something with you or your husband doesn't mean that's what you're going to do with your child. Being a grandparent doesn't mean being the parent. I love that we get to be SAHM's:) It's the best job ever. Who could leave their kids in a daycare if they didn't have to

    ReplyDelete